Thursday 11 October 2012

Freehand Drawing Practise: Dia De Los Muertos

A Mexican Sugar Skull design drawn over a MaxFactor ad campaign.

Last night I wanted to practise more freehand pattern drawing as I feel like that is something really important in making my final design the best it can be, and I wanted to do something a little more decorative and feminine. I decided to draw a design inspired by Mexican 'Day of the Dead' sugar skulls. This was alot of fun to draw as, although the designs are traditionally very symmetrical on the face, they are also pretty, free-flowing and very decorative. This made a nice change from the very linear and graphic designs of the Maori and Apatani tribal tattoos that I have so far researched, and has made me want to look into the Day of the Dead tradition as one of my possible final inspirations. Posts on that to follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment