Tuesday 15 January 2013

Challenges: The Mashup

The first challenge that I have come across, as I mentioned in my last post, is not to do something that has already been done too often. It is proving difficult to find the balance between not doing something too 'authentic', as in too close to the real thing and making it commercial and editorial enough, and creating an interpretation that has not been seen or done before. My solution for this as it stands is to look to other sources and authentic items, such as the jewellery and materials worn by the people of the two tribes, along with materials they wear and materials they use to create their makeup. I will also look at the things that they use in daily life and the things they hold sacred, such as natural earthy materials, animals, and they landscapes that they live on. 

The other challenge that I've found so far is creating a believable mashup using the two tribes. While the Fulani people and Native American people are very different and from completely different areas and types of places, it is important that I find common ground between the two so that I can make a complete and striking look that combines elements of both tribes, but also keep some continuity between my two shots. I want them to be completely different in design and colour, but have a mash up of elements that are continuous throughout, like the two tribes I have researched.  

No comments:

Post a Comment